Pages

Sunday, March 8, 2015

Oh, we're doing this again?

Hello Internet!

I've made many attempts to blog consistently and frequently in the time since I graduated from college. In the past 3 years, I have started (and consequentially, forgotten about) two blogs. I start out excited with a ton of fun post ideas, topics, and goals for myself. I got discouraged when I posted about using E6000 and dollar store items to make apothecary jars and it didn't go viral. I also got discouraged when time didn't stop because I posted about my five favorite places to buy monogrammed items online! Can you believe it?

I manage to have about a million brilliant ideas each day, but sometimes lack the discipline and follow-through to make my ideas a reality. I am most proud of putting my mind to Twirls + Pearls and executing it into a brand that is sold in two retail locations, has a great social media presence and is on the wrists of women across the United States.

For 2015 I decided to skip resolutions and give the year a theme. This year's theme is follow-through and I sincerely hope that's something that I stick to.

In the theme of follow-through, I have set some goals for myself already this year that I am sticking to. One of my major goals is to save a lot of money. I am fortunate enough to have almost no expenses (living the twenty-something dream at home has its perks!) and make myself sit down bimonthly and funnel my paycheck into savings, a mutual fund, 401K and a travel slush fund. Making (and saving) a lot of money has helped curb my spending and has made me more hesitant to spend my money and go shopping as often as I used to. It's been really motivating to have big-picture things to be saving towards and not buying a ton of shoes I probably won't wear.

Another thing I've been pretty good at following through with is going to the gym. In terms of convenience, I have it made. The strip mall outside of my subdivision has a 24 hour gym in one of the units and I can walk there in about 3 minutes. Despite being a stone's throw away, the gym lacks the amenities I'm looking for and is a magnet for people who like to sit on the workout equipment and text instead of actually using it. My favorite are the people who feel the need to grunt and scream as they're working out. I really don't see why people think they need to yell as they're doing shoulder press in a small room with other people around.

At the urging of my boyfriend and best friend, both Crossfitters who were probably tired of hearing me rant about idiots at my gym, I started to look into Crossfit gyms in my area. I found a really nice looking gym on my way home from work that has a two week intro course to give new people a feel for what Crossfit will be like.

My first day went really well and I can definitely see why people get so into Crossfit! Everyone at the intro class was supportive and encouraging; all week I'd been worried that I would feel silly for asking obvious questions or needing extra help understanding something. I could kick myself for spending a few extra months at my previous gym, unhappy and stuck in a rut, when I could have been having fun and challenging myself at Crossfit. I'm going back for my second day tomorrow, and I look forward to making some progress and hopefully some new friends!

Stay posted for more!

No comments:

Post a Comment